Friday, January 15, 2010

Krugman gets right to the point

by Rich Miles

If I were a woman, I'd try very hard to convince Paul Krugman that I should be the mother of his children.

But I'm not, so all I can do is try to spread the word to the world that Paul Krugman knows what's going on in the world better than almost anyone else on earth. Not just in the realm of economics, his area of special expertise, but in general. In general, he knows how badly things are getting screwed up, and how badly all of us are getting screwed in the process. He realizes that there are larger forces at work in the world. Not conspiracy-theory, tin-hat kind of stuff, but just purely observational stuff about how the wealthy, and the fat cats, and the plutocrats (arguably all three are the same people) are seeking not just to stay rich, but to get ever richer on the backs of the poor and the middle class. Paul Krugman knows this, and tries to tell us about it every chance he gets, because he realizes the danger of it, not only for the poor and the middle class, but for the wealthy as well. They're killing us, but in the process they're killing each other as well. One can only hope they finish each other off before they do us.

Because you see, the world is degenerating into a constant battle between the plutocrats, and the rest of us. The plutes have more resources to bring to bear, but there's a lot more of us poor folks.

Still and yet, the fact that there are people in the world who have waaaay more money and stuff than the average, way more than they really need, but want more and more and more, is very disheartening. I mean, I don't have all I want in the world, but I like to think that the difference between me and the plutes is that I expect to earn whatever more I get, while these plutes I keep talking about expect either to steal it, or have it handed to them. Whut up wid dat?

The world is not as it once was, kiddies. There have always been obnoxiously rich people in the world, but they haven't always been willing to walk over the faces of the rest of us to increase their holdings. There may have been some such people since time immemorial, but generally I think the wealthy didn't find it necessary to drive us poor folks to extinction. At least, that's the way it appears to me as I study history.

But in any case, we're at war these days - with the rich, who don't have the good sense to realize how much they need us peons. And how much they need to pay for the privilege. I don't want ALL of anyone's provender - I just want the part I earn. And I want the rich folks to believe the same way. Whether that will ever happen, I don't know. But I don't want to have to fight a war with anyone for what is mine.

RM

No comments: